Kenya Photo Safari
This 10-day photo safari is designed for photographers of every level using every type of equipment – from mobile phones to point-and-shoot cameras to professional-quality mirrorless and DSLR cameras. A photographer will be on hand to give you personal attention and support and to help you capture photos that tell the story of your time in Africa. Our small group (9 travelers total) and intimate, luxury camps ensure personal attention, exceptional comfort, and a safari in which the wildlife truly takes center stage.
Itinerary Kenya August 13-22, 2020
Day 1: August 13, 2020
Arrive into Nairobi, Kenya
Upon arrival at the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (JKIA), you will be met by our representative and transferred to Eka Hotel www.ekahotel.com for a two-night stay. Check in and get settled before perhaps meeting up with the rest of the group for dinner
(All meals on your own account this day)
Day 2: August 14, 2020
Enjoy breakfast and around 10:00am we will depart for David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust. www.sheldrickwildlifetrust.org
for the 11-12noon visit. This will be followed by a visit to Karen Blixen’s former home (now a museum) www.museums.or.ke with absolutely stunning views of the Ngong Hills made famous in her book Out Of Africa and includes lunch at Tamambo. After lunch we will visit the Giraffe Centre www.giraffecentre.org after which we will be dropped off at Eka Hotel in time to review your photos of the day, rest and have dinner.
Meals: Breakfast and Lunch
Days 3 & 4: August 15 & 16, 2020
Oltukai Lodge, Amboseli National Park
Driving out of Nairobi and heading south east, we will have about a four and half hour drive arriving at Amboseli National Park. www.kws.go.ke/amboseli-national-park Crowned by Mount Kilimanjaro, Africa’s highest peak, the park is one of Kenya’s most popular parks. The name “Amboseli” comes from a Maasai word meaning “salty dust” and it is one of the best places in Africa to view large herds of elephants up close. Nature lovers can explore five different habitats here ranging from the dried-up bed of Lake Amboseli, wetlands with sulphur springs, the savannah and woodlands. We can also visit the local Maasai community who live around the park and experience their authentic culture.
We’ll stay at Ol Tukai Lodge www.oltukailodge.com With spectacular views of Mount Kilimanjaro and the golden plains, Ol Tukai Lodge is a charming, contemporary retreat situated within the pristine Amboseli National Park. Filled with a quintessential African atmosphere and set amidst beautifully manicured lawns, the lodge’s luxury chalets offer uninterrupted views of the tranquil wilderness of the park or the snow-capped mountain in the distance. Beautifully appointed and inviting, the chalets boast private terraces where we’ll make the most of our spectacular surroundings.
Meals: Full Board
Days 5 & 6: August 17 & 18, 2020
Ol Pejeta Conservancy, Porini Rhino Camp
After Breakfast on the morning of the 17th, we will drive back to Nairobi to Wilson Airport and fly north to central Kenya to Ol Pejeta Conservancy www.olpejetaconservancy.org The Ol Pejeta Conservancy is a mosaic of grass plains, wooded grassland, Acacia woodland and evergreen thicket extending over 86,000 square miles! Ol Pejeta boasts an astounding variety of animals including non-indigenous chimpanzees and the Big Five (the endangered black and white rhino, leopard, elephant, buffalo & lion). The combination of amazing wildlife and stunning views across the open plains guarantees an unforgettable safari experience.
Meals: Full Board
Days 7, 8 & 9: August 19, 20 and 21, 2020
Maasai Mara National Reserve, Mara Engai Teneted Lodge
On the morning of August 19th, we will fly to the famous Maasai Mara National Reserve www.exploremasaimarasafaris.com located in southwest Kenya along the Tanzania border. Game viewing in the Masai Mara is excellent all year around thanks to the diverse population of resident game – including lion, leopard, elephant and buffalo – plus popular species like zebra, giraffe, hyena, eland and gazelle. We will be there at a time when one of nature’s greatest spectacles, the Wildebeest Migration, should reach the Mara, however there are no guarantees as the migration is dependent on the rains. The migration is a dramatic mass movement of almost two million wildebeest, zebra and gazelle in a seasonal annual cycle driven by rainfall. To reach the Mara’s fresh grazing, wildebeest make dramatic river crossings from Tanzania to feast on the Mara plains and regain their strength.
Our home for the next three nights is Mara Engai Tented Lodge. www.maraengai.info Set on the Siria Escarpment, 1000ft above Kenya’s Masai Mara with breathtaking views over the Mara Triangle and Great Wildebeest Migration route. Here we will experience solitude and serenity. There is also a lot to do: Morning and evening game drives, Bush walks, visit a traditional Maasai community, tour the organic gardens and receive your own Maasai name by taking part in a traditional naming ceremony, and receive a certificate with your new Maasai name. It’s up to you which name you choose to use after that!
Meals: Full Board
Day 10: August 22, 2020
After packing our things and saying our “Farewells” we’ll fly from Maasai Mara back to Nairobi & be transferred to Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (JKIA) for our international flights home.
Meet Your Photographer
Sam is a nature and wildlife photographer who loves helping
others use photography to capture images that tell the story of
their African safari. In addition to being there to support and
assist you, Sam will facilitate sharing of photos among our
travelers and provide you with a portfolio of his own photos.
His aim is to help you get the most of the time you spend
looking through the camera so that you can spend plenty of
time soaking in the sights and sounds of Africa.
USD $7,425 Per Person Sharing
Deposit amount is: $2,227.50 per person plus complete single supplement where applicable.
Pricing is per person, double occupancy*.
Final payment is due 120 days before travel.
Single supplement: US $1,060
*There may be a limit to number of singles that can be accommodated due to limited numbers of tents available at some safari camps.
*Price is based on a minimum of 9 guests
- Specialist guide Jody Cole throughout
- Photography Specialist Sam Gulino
- Accommodation: B&B basis at Eka, Full board at Ol Tukai Lodge, Porini Rhino Camp and Mara Engai Tented Camp.
- Meals as mentioned in itinerary (B= Breakfast, L=Lunch, D = Dinner)
- Local Flights: Nairobi to Nanyuki + Nanyuki to Maasai Mara + Maasai Mara to Nairobi
- Road transfers: Airport pick up, to Amboseli, to Wilson Airport, to JKIA
- Park fees and conservation levies
- Daphne Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage
- Giraffe Centre
- Karen Blixen Museum & Karen Blixen Lunch (Tamambo)
- Amboseli sector Transport in a 4X4 safari land cruiser
- Ol Pejeta & Maasai Mara in open sided 4×4 vehicles
- Soft drinks, local beer and selected wines and spirits included at Porini Rhino & Mara Engai only
- Night game drives, sundowners and visit to the Rhino & Chimpanzee Sanctuary at Porini Rhino
- Emergency Air evacuation cover
- International flights, Internal Africa flights not mentioned in itinerary
- Visas and passport costs. Kenya single entry visa for US citizens in currently $50.00
- Travel and medical insurance
- All meals not mentioned above
- Additional excursions and activities not mentioned above.
- All items of a personal nature (bar bills and gratuities etc.)
- Please note that this quote is valid for the dates of travel specified
- Prices are subject to change without prior notification due to circumstances beyond our control, namely fuel surcharges, supplier increases, government taxes, exchange rate fluctuations, etc. The full booking value will be subject to rate of exchange fluctuations until full payment has been made.
- All costs are valid for the itinerary travel dates. Costs may vary with date changes.
- Should any details change, we reserve the right to recalculate the tour price accordingly.
- Passports MUST be valid for at least six months from your return home date. We recommend a validity of nine months to prevent any problems in this regard. There must be at least FOUR blank VISA pages in the passport (not endorsement pages).
- WRAS is happy to help with Intra Africa flights to ensure the best arrival/departure times. There is a $35.00 service fee per flight booked by WRAS.
- There are weight restrictions on luggage. It is all about what the plane can carry NOT about paying extra for more luggage or weight. The flight simply will not take off if a guest is overweight with luggage. Charter airlines request that we pack in a soft-sided duffel bag, no hard suitcases or wheeled bags with rigid structure/retractable handles. Charter flights in East Africa have a weight limit of 33lbs/15kgs for all luggage per person. Many camps have laundry, so things can get washed.
Visa is needed to enter Kenya. Available at port of entry.
“Jody Cole and Wild Rainbow African Safaris is the only way to go to Africa.”
“Fantastic life altering trip!! Jody and her team were the bomb. They were extremely knowledgable, caring, experts and fabulous hosts in an exotic land. I will never forget this experience and have many fond memories to last me forever.