Kenya Photo Safari: August 12- 21, 2021
Kenya has long been Africa’s most storied safari destination. Known for its legendary wildlife and evocative landscapes, Kenya offers photographers countless opportunities to capture iconic images of Africa: Graceful giraffes browsing in acacia trees, elephants traversing the savanna, stealthy lions stalking gazelle, proud Maasai bedecked in ceremonial beadwork. This 10-day photo safari is designed for photographers of every level using equipment of all levels… including mobile phones. A professional photographer will be with us the entire trip giving personal attention and support and helping us enhance our photos.
Days 1 and 2 Thursday, August 12 - Friday. August 13, 2021
Arrivals - 2 nights Nairobi at Eka Hotel
Upon arrival at the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (JKIA), you will be met by our representative and transferred to Eka Hotel for a two-night stay. Check in and get settled before perhaps meeting up with the rest of the group for dinner
(All meals on your own account this day)
Wake up and enjoy breakfast and around 10:00am we will depart for David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust.
for the 11-12noon visit. This will be followed by a visit to Karen Blixen’s former home (now a museum) with absolutely stunning views of the Ngong Hills made famous in her book Out Of Africa and includes lunch at Tamambo. After lunch we will visit the Giraffe Centre after which we will be dropped off at Eka Hotel in time to review your photos of the day, rest and have dinner.
DAYS 3 & 4: Saturday, August 14 - Sunday, August 15, 2021
Off to Amboseli National Park
Driving out of Nairobi and heading south east, we will have about a four and half hour drive arriving at Amboseli National Park. Crowned by Mount Kilimanjaro, Africa’s highest peak, the park is one of Kenya’s most popular parks. The name “Amboseli” comes from a Maasai word meaning “salty dust” and it is one of the best places in Africa to view large herds of elephants up close. Nature lovers can explore five different habitats here ranging from the dried-up bed of Lake Amboseli, wetlands with sulphur springs, the savannah and woodlands. We can also visit the local Maasai community who live around the park and experience their authentic culture.
We’ll stay at Ol Tukai Lodge With spectacular views of Mount Kilimanjaro and the golden plains, Ol Tukai Lodge is a charming, contemporary retreat situated within the pristine Amboseli National Park. Filled with a quintessential African atmosphere and set amidst beautifully manicured lawns, the lodge’s luxury chalets offer uninterrupted views of the tranquil wilderness of the park or the snow-capped mountain in the distance. Beautifully appointed and inviting, the chalets boast private terraces where we’ll make the most of our spectacular surroundings.
(B, L, D)
DAYS 5 & 6:Monday, August 16 - Tuesday, August 17, 2021
Ol Pejeta Conservancy
After Breakfast on the morning of the 17th, we will drive back to Nairobi to Wilson Airport and fly north to central Kenya to Ol Pejeta Conservancy The Ol Pejeta Conservancy is a mosaic of grass plains, wooded grassland, Acacia woodland and evergreen thicket extending over 86,000 square miles! Ol Pejeta boasts an astounding variety of animals including non-indigenous chimpanzees and the Big Five (the endangered black and white rhino, leopard, elephant, buffalo & lion). The combination of amazing wildlife and stunning views across the open plains guarantees an unforgettable safari experience.
Our Porini Rhino Camp guide will collect us from the airstrip and transfer us to camp, our home for the next two nights were we will enjoy morning, evening and night time shared game drives and escorted walks with Maasai guides.
(B, L, D)
Days 7, 8 & 9: Wednesday, August 18 - Friday, August 20, 2021
To the Maasai Mara
On the morning of August 18th, we will fly to the famous Maasai Mara National Reserve located in southwest Kenya along the Tanzania border. Game viewing in the Masai Mara is excellent all year around thanks to the diverse population of resident game – including lion, leopard, elephant and buffalo – plus popular species like zebra, giraffe, hyena, eland and gazelle. We will be there at a time when one of nature’s greatest spectacles, the Wildebeest Migration, should reach the Mara, however there are no guarantees as the migration is dependent on the rains. The migration is a dramatic mass movement of almost two million wildebeest, zebra and gazelle in a seasonal annual cycle driven by rainfall. To reach the Mara’s fresh grazing, wildebeest make dramatic river crossings from Tanzania to feast on the Mara plains and regain their strength.
Our home for the next three nights is Mara Engai Tented Lodge. Set on the Siria Escarpment, 1000ft above Kenya’s Masai Mara with breathtaking views over the Mara Triangle and Great Wildebeest Migration route. Here we will experience solitude and serenity. There is also a lot to do: Morning and evening game drives, Bush walks, visit a traditional Maasai community, tour the organic gardens and receive your own Maasai name by taking part in a traditional naming ceremony, and receive a certificate with your new Maasai name. It’s up to you which name you choose to use after that! (B, L, D)
Day 10: Saturday, August 21, 2021
After packing our things and saying our “Farewells” we’ll fly from Maasai Mara back to Nairobi & be transferred to Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (JKIA) for our international flights home.
$7,425.00 Per Person Sharing
Single Supplement:$1,060.00 per person.
*Price is based on a minimum of 9 guests paying
- Specialist guide Jody Cole throughout
- Photography Specialist Sam Gulino
- Accommodation: B&B basis at Eka, Full board at Ol Tukai Lodge, Porini Rhino Camp and Mara Engai Tented Camp.
- Meals as mentioned in itinerary (B= Breakfast, L=Lunch, D = Dinner)
- Local Flights: Nairobi to Nanyuki + Nanyuki to Maasai Mara + Maasai Mara to Nairobi
- Road transfers: Airport pick up, to Amboseli, to Wilson Airport, to JKIA
- Park fees and conservation levies
- Daphne Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage
- Giraffe Centre
- Karen Blixen Museum & Karen Blixen Lunch (Tamambo)
- Amboseli sector Transport in a 4X4 safari land cruiser
- Ol Pejeta & Maasai Mara in open sided 4×4 vehicles
- Soft drinks, local beer and selected wines and spirits included at Porini Rhino & Mara Engai only
- Night game drives, sundowners and visit to the Rhino & Chimpanzee Sanctuary at Porini Rhino
- Emergency Air evacuation cover
- International flights, Internal Africa flights not mentioned in itinerary
- Visas and passport costs. Kenya single entry visa for US citizens in currently $50.00
- Travel and medical insurance
- All meals not mentioned above
- Additional excursions and activities not mentioned above.
- All items of a personal nature (bar bills and gratuities etc.)
- This quote is valid for the dates of travel specified. Prices are subject to change and lodge availability is not guaranteed until a signed application and deposit are received, at which time accommodations are booked and a final itinerary prepared. Modifications to the itinerary may result in a change in price.
- Review the location and amenities of the suggested accommodations and ensure you are comfortable.
- Prices are subject to change without prior notification due to circumstances beyond our control, namely fuel surcharges, supplier increases, government taxes, exchange rate fluctuations, etc. The full booking value will be subject to rate of exchange fluctuations until full payment has been made.
- All costs are valid for the itinerary travel dates. Costs may vary with date changes.
- Should any details change, we reserve the right to recalculate the tour price accordingly
- Passports MUST be valid for at least six months from your return home date. We recommend a validity of nine months to prevent any problems in this regard. There must be at least FOUR blank VISA pages in the passport (not endorsement pages).
- WRAS is happy to help with Intra Africa flights to ensure the best arrival/departure times. There is a $35.00 service fee per flight booked by WRAS.
- Luggage limit is 15kgs (33lbs) per person and includes checked bags, hand carried bags and photography equipment and in soft sided bags.
If you would like to move ahead and confirm this itinerary, we will require a completed and signed Trip Application for each traveler and a 30% deposit on the full trip amount. 50% of this deposit amount is non-refundable. Deposit amount is: $2,077.50 pp plus complete single supplement where applicable.
We strongly recommend purchasing Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance immediately after your deposit is made. Insurance protects you and your investment should there be a reason at any point in the planning process that you would need to cancel your trip.
“Your enthusiasm is contagious. Your patience is saintly. Can’t believe how easy and perfect everything was.”
“This trip exceeded my expectations. I had no idea we’d be seeing so many cats. What a delight.”
“Jody’s enthusiasm is contagious. Your patience is saintly. Everything was easy and perfect.”