Our safaris are an exciting (and sometimes overwhelming) prospect. Part of our job is to alleviate your worries and guide you every step of the way. We compiled a short list of the most common questions. If you’re still stumped after reading this page, send us an e-mail. We’ll get back to you with an informed answer!
- All of your accommodations listed in the safari’s itinerary
- A dedicated guide throughout your game-viewing activities such as boat cruises, morning or evening game-drives, walks, and fishing. (Exception: Unless the guide is specifically noted as an optional extra item within the safari’s tour description.)
- Park fees for the parks listed on the safari’s itinerary
- Sightseeing trips included in the trip’s itinerary
- Meals that are noted within the itinerary. (B&B=bed and breakfast, B=breakfast, L=lunch, D=dinner)
- Road and boat transfers included within the safari’s itinerary
- Any charter flights that are part of the safari’s itinerary
- Park fees for the parks listed on the safari’s itinerary
While we try to take care of all the little details, some items are your responsibility. This includes:
- Domestic and international flights from your hometown to Africa
- Visas and travel insurance
- Any required or suggested immunizations
- Gratuities and alcoholic beverages
- All personal expenses such as gift, souvenirs, and trip extras
- Laundry services at camps (cost varies)
- Optional excursions taken outside of our scheduled itinerary
We’re so excited to have you along! Reserving your place is easy, simply return a completed trip application and make a deposit.
Our deposit and payment schedule is as follows:
- First deposit* – 30% of trip land cost and cost of any intra-Africa flights and special permits that we need to purchase on your behalf – Due with completed Trip Application
- Final Payment – Due 120 days before departure
*50% of first deposit, special permits and airfares are non-refundable.
Now’s the time to nail down the little details. Here’s our recommended to-do list:
- Purchase travel insurance (just in case!)
- Book your flights. You’ll need flights from your hometown to the port city in Africa and any international flights that may entail.
- Look at the packing list we send our guests. Set aside what you want to pack and purchase any additional pieces.
- Dig into our recommended reading list. We’ll send a customized list of books to help familiarize yourself with your destination and build excitement!
- Prior to your departure date, contact your credit card companies. Let them know you will be traveling and using your card in a foreign country to avoid blocked charges or a frozen card.
- Make a list of souvenirs you want to buy and get addresses for postcards. Everyone loves a little traveling gift!
- Relax! We’ll provide a detailed list of “Things to Remember” to guide you along the way before and during your safari.
Yes! This is your trip, and we’re happy to customize your safari. Plan the trip of your dreams based on your desires, taste, and budget. Please note that group, dated safari trips may not be altered.
Some trips have as few as two, while we can have as many as 20 guests. Our scheduled safaris usually accommodate 8-10 guests. If you’re planning a customized safari, the number of guests is up to you. Our speciality at Wild Rainbow African Safaris is small groups. This allows us to provide individualized attention and create unique experiences that are beyond the reach of larger group tours. Smaller groups mean we can reserve private luxury lodges, visit remote locations, and reserve exclusive game drives.
Yes! We have an expert flight specialist on hand to assist with details. Our flight specialist can sometimes obtain a group rate that would not be available if you had you booked on your own. Please note your safari cost does not include airfare. Some guests prefer to use reward points from airline companies and credit cards to lower the cost of airfare
Yes, we will need both for most countries. Most people like to obtain their visas at the embassy before their trip. Depending upon the country, you can sometimes acquire a visa at the border (often at the airport). Once your safari is booked, we will help you obtain all the visas required for your trip. The U.S. Government prefers that your passport has at least three blank pages before you leave. We recommend having at least six blank pages as an extra precaution. The expiration date also needs to be at least six months after your return date.
Do you feel lucky? Kidding aside, we highly recommend that you purchase travel insurance. Life is too unpredictable and most insurance covers lost luggage, trip cancelations, pre-existing conditions, emergency evacuations, and other events that cause you to lose the money invested in your trip. We recommend contacting staff member Alison Hawthorne (link to e-mail address) for assistance with insurance.
The countries on our safaris either require or recommend immunizations. Before your trip, we recommend you visit your physician or go to to Center for Disease Control and Prevention. If you have questions, we are happy to discussion options with you.
Anytime is a great time to travel to Africa! Every season holds its own special allure. The rainy season promises lush greenery, an abundance of birds, and the romance of evening showers in the late afternoon. During and after the rains, many wildlife give birth. In the dry season, animals gather at watering holes making wildlife viewing a spectacular event. Pick your season based upon what you’d like to see and do during your trip. If you’re still unsure, contact us and we can create a customized safari that meets your goals and wishes.
When you book your safari with us, we provide a complete packing list and a recommended reading list. A unique feature of traveling with us is a pre-trip meeting (depending upon your geographic location) with owner Jody Cole. At your pre-trip meeting, you get to meeting your fellow travelers, meet your guide, and ask any questions about the upcoming trip.
Usually you will be able to recharge your devices. In cities and towns, electricity is not an an issue. While we are out in the bush, our lodges and camps will usually have generators you can use at specific hours. However, it’s always best to be prepared. Bring extra batteries and pack an international adaptor.
All our lodges and camps are staffed with internationally trained gourmet chefs who want every guest to leave the table satisfied and happy. If you have any special dietary needs or food allergies, please let us know so we can ensure delicious meals adapted to your requests.
The lodgings we select are designed with your comfort in mind. The luxurious lodges feature beautiful architecture, expansive lobbies, and sweeping views. Our permanent and mobile “tented” camps are far from rustic and include full en-suite facilities, plush bedding, laundry services, and white-glove customer service. Relaxation is the goal after a day on the bush.
Our scheduled safaris usually last 10-12 days in Africa. This does not include travel time for flights to and from the U.S. If you’d like to stay longer, we often offer trip extensions that include travel to nearby locales either before or after your scheduled safari. For customized safaris, we can plan trips ranging from a month to a two-week jaunt. Beware of other travel companies that include travel time in the length of their trips. This creates the illusion of an longer trip.
Single travelers are always welcome to join our trips. We believe solo adventures are a great way to meet new people and see new things! Before making your reservation, look for the single supplement listed with the safari’s itinerary. This ensures you enjoy a private room instead of sharing with another guest.
Children are always welcome on our safaris. However, we do have some guidelines:
- Children under the age of 14 must travel with their family on a private safari.
- Children over the age of 14 are welcome on our scheduled group safaris, but must travel with at least one family member at all times.
If you need to cancel your reservation, refunds of the total package price will be subject to a cancellation charge according to the following schedule:
Days before departure:
- Over 120 days to departure · Any special permits, airline tickets that have been purchased and 50% of deposit, are non-refundable.
- 119-90 days to departure · 25% of total cost is forfeited.
- 89-60 days to departure · 50% of total cost is forfeited.
- 59 days to departure- 100% of total cost is forfeited.
Unplanned cancelations are another great reason to invest in travel insurance. Some insurance policies can cover cancelations, depending upon the circumstances.