All Girl Kilimanjaro Climb: 2022 July 25-August 4
Our host for this adventure is Simon Mtuy, he has been our partner in Tanzania since 1998. The team of guides are exceptional. We would not want to climb with anyone else. This climb begins at Simon’s childhood home on the slopes of Kilimanjaro at Mbahe Farm House Cottages. Our first two nights are spent here to rest from our long journey, sort and review climb gear, be assessed for medical baselines and a short hike to the edge of Kilimanjaro National Park. Then on the next morning you set off for 8 days on the mountain hiking through several climate and ecozones to the summit. The guide team will support both the fastest and slowest hiker. The intent is to get you to the summit fit and healthy, at your own pace and smiling all the way. We are offering an optional Pre or Post safari. The details of this safari extension are attached at the end after the climb description.
Day 1: Monday, July 26, 2021
Arrival Kilimanjaro International Airport
Upon arrival, after you’ve cleared the immigration process and luggage collection, you will be met by our ground team at the Arrivals area just outside. Our team will drive you to Mbahe Village, located on the foothills of Mount Kilimanjaro, approximately 2 hours from the airport. Our home for the next two nights will be the private cottages of our host, Simon Mtuy at his family’s Mbahe Village Farm. Those returning from the Pre-climb safari will be driven here as well to await the arrival of the other participants.
Overnight: Mabahe Village Farm
Day 2: Tuesday, July 27, 2021
Mbahe Village Farm Cottage
You have the morning to rest and relax. Enjoy delicious “homebrew” Tanzanian coffee, grown and roasted on the farm, and meals made with fruits and vegetables from the garden. Your climb leader will provide a climb orientation and equipment check. Today is a good day to stretch your legs on the mountain and take a guided tour around Mbahe Village, the Mtuy family farm, and to swim in the river and waterfall running through Simon’s land. We’ll gather together for dinner to discuss final details and anticipate the start of the climb tomorrow.
Overnight: Mabahe Village Farm
Days 3: Wednesday, July 28, 2021
Londorossi Gate to “Big Tree” Camp
After breakfast we drive to Londorossi Gate, where you will meet your other guides and mountain crew then enter the Kilimanjaro National Park. After officially signing the climb log at the park headquarters, our gear is weighed and divided amongst the mountain crew to carry for you so you have an unencumbered opportunity to successfully summit. We begin our first steps on the trail that will be home for the next 8 days. From the trailhead we slowly walk for a few hours through the thick and undisturbed montane forest to our camp for the night. Many beautiful flowers are seen en route and with luck we might see Black-and-white colobus monkeys (Colobus guereza) at play in the trees. In the evening we may hear the unforgettable shrieking call of the tree hyrax (Dendrohyrax arboreus).
Overnight: “Big Tree” Camp
Days 4: Thursday, July 29, 2021
“Big Tree” Camp to “Shira 1” Camp
Today we reach the west side of the Shira Plateau in a hiking time of 6 hours. Taking our time walking through the forest allows us to observe its animal and bird life. The day’s hike takes us from the Montane or Forest Zone, through a transition zone, and into the Heather Zone where old lava flows are visible. Your guides will point out unique environmental differences that characterize each zone. The landscape is stunning, and you’ll find it very interesting. After a picnic lunch we reach the edge of the Shira Plateau and eventually our camp that offers a dramatic view of Kilimanjaro and its permanent glaciers. Here you are above the cloud line with views of the rainforest below and the top of Kilimanjaro are simply breathtaking. Once the sun sets, the stars are overwhelming in the night skies and create a truly peaceful environment.
Overnight: “Shira 1” Camp
Meals: B, L, D.
Days 5: Friday, July 30, 2021
“Shira 1” Camp to “Shira 2” Camp
Today is an easy paced acclimatization day of 4 to 5 hours hiking. Camp is set higher on the Shira Plateau with more expansive views of Kilimanjaro. There is a conditioning hike in the afternoon where you can examine the clusters of giant lobelias and senecios that grow at this elevation.
Overnight: “Shira 2” Camp
Meals: B, L, D.
Days 6: Saturday, July 31, 2021
“Shira 2” Camp to “Lava Tower” Camp
Today is another important day for acclimatization as we hike for 5 hours to an elevation above 15,000 feet. We will pass through the Alpine Moorland Zone where plants are extremely hardy and consist of lichens, grasses, and heather, to reach Kilimanjaro’s Alpine or Highland Desert Zone. You will have a spectacular view of the Western Breach. There will be little cloud cover to protect you from the sun’s UV rays. Wear lots of sunscreen.
Overnight: “Lava Tower” Camp
Day 7: Sunday, August 1, 2021
“Lava Tower” Camp to “Karanga” Camp
There is an expression in mountaineering that goes “climb high sleep low”. This is a time-tested technique to help climber’s bodies adjust to altitude. Yesterday and today are all about this. After an initial descent from Lava Tower camp we climb the Great Barranco Wall – not too steep but still an exhilarating challenge – which our guides make safe and accessible for everyone by ascending pole pole (meaning “slowly” in Kiswahili). You will be able to see the breathtaking Heim Glacier from the top of the Wall. Descend into the Karanga Valley and then climb again to our camp on a ridge above the Valley, where you will enjoy a well- deserved rest and your daily afternoon tea and snacks.
Overnight: “Karanga” Camp
Day 8: Monday, August 2, 2021
“Karanga” Camp to “Barafu” Camp
As we begin hiking today the trail turns steadily uphill. Temperatures are noticeably colder and the landscape sparser as we work our way to Barafu camp and the Arctic Zone. Barafu means “ice” in Kiswahili. Hiking time is 4 to 5 hours. The camp is set on an exposed ridge and is the staging point for our push to the summit. After an early dinner we have a summit briefing and prepare our equipment before resting.
Overnight: “Barafu” Camp
Day 9: Tuesday, August 3, 2021
“Barafu” Camp to “Uhuru Peak” to “Millennium” Camp
Rise at midnight for a warm and hearty early breakfast in preparation for the long day ahead. We ascend under the stars, pole pole, on the steep switchback trail, drinking plenty of water and refueling with small snacks, and enjoying the trek to Uhuru, the summit of Kilimanjaro, which we expect to reach shortly after daybreak. At this early hour, before the clouds close in, you will have spectacular views of Africa in all directions. After a brief celebratory and well deserved stop for photos and hugs, we descend 2 to 3 hours to Barafu Camp for lunch, rest, and to pack up our belongings. Continuing downhill 3 to 4 hours to the edge of the Mweka Forest, we reach the final night’s camp – 7,000 feet below the summit! Still exhilarated from the summit we have our final dinner on the mountain, we’ll share our experiences of the climb, and sleep soundly.
Congratulations, you’ve touched the Roof of Africa!
Overnight: “Millennium” Camp
Day 10: Wednesday, August 4, 2021
Millennium” Camp to “Mweka Gate”; Moshi Town
Our last day is another descent of 7,000 feet with 4 to 5 hours of hiking to the exit at Mweka Gate. The trail is steep in places and within the forest may be slippery if wet. After a hearty celebration lunch with the whole team on private Simon’s private land near the exit gate, we say “Goodbye and Asante sana!” to the mountain crew and climb leaders. Our ground team will bring you to your hotel in Moshi Town to relax, have dinner and enjoy a dip in the swimming pool.
Overnight: Moshi Town hotel
Day 11: Thursday, August 5, 2021
Moshi Town /Departure
Those heading out on safari will depart after breakfast to continue your African adventure. For those returning home we offer you a guided tour of Moshi Town with its colorful market and curio shops. You may eat lunch in town or back at the lodge (lunch not included). Transfer to the Kilimanjaro Airport.
PRICING 2021:Book Now!
USD 4,612.00 per person share accommodation
Single Supplement: USD 393.00
USD 4,612.00 per person share accommodation
Single Supplement: USD 393.00
To confirm your spot on the climb we need a completed and signed Trip Application and a 30% deposit on the full trip amount.
CLIMB PRICE INCLUDES:
- Airport Meet & Greet and hotel transport
- All accommodations
- Meals as indicated “B,L,D”= Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner
- Activities as stipulated in the itinerary
- On climb, filtered water (by Katadyn Expedition® filter) and coffee, teas, cocoa
- Services of climb leader, climbing guides, and mountain crew
- Kilimanjaro National Park entrance, camping, and rescue fees
- All camping equipment (excluding sleeping bag and pad)
- Portable private toilet with bio-degradable waste system (Cleanwaste®) at all camps
- Gamow bag (portable hyperbaric chamber) and supplemental oxygen
- Transfers to/from Kilimanjaro International Airport and to/from park entrance/exit gates
- Guided Mbahe Village walking tour
- Guided Moshi Town walking tour
- All applicable taxes, administration and banking fees
CLIMB PRICE EXCLUDES:
- All passport and visa fees: Tanzania guests are required to apply and obtain a visa online:
- Tanzania: https://eservices.immigration.go.tz/visa/ Single entry tourist visas are available at a cost of USD 100.00
- All health vaccinations and medications, including, but not limited to: Yellow Fever vaccinations are currently compulsory for entry into Kenya and Tanzania. All those entering Kenya and Tanzania must be in possession of a valid and original Yellow Fever vaccination card
- International flights from/to home to Africa and associated airport departure taxes
- Meals not specified (including lunch and other meal stops between properties on overland sectors)
- Drinks where not stipulated in itinerary
- Items of a personal nature
- Tips and gratuities to leaders, guides, crew, or other staff
- Additional accommodations and meals made necessary by airline schedule changes, inability to complete the climb, finishing a climb before the scheduled completion date, or other factors
- Any expenses of a personal nature such as souvenirs and laundry
- Trip cancellation, travel delay or baggage insurance
- Travel / medical insurance
- All statutory increases beyond our control
- Pre or Post Climb costs
NEED EQUIPMENT? We’ve got you covered.
Rent a sleeping bag & pad USD 55.00
Rent Hiking poles USD 15.00
Want more climb details? Send us an email and we’ll provide climb prep and training guidelines as well as packing list and info on the mountain.
THE FINE PRINT:
- Bookings and availability can only be guaranteed once the required/invoiced deposit payment has reached our account.
- Prices are subject to change and availability is not guaranteed until a registration form and deposit are received, at which time accommodations are booked and a final itinerary with final price is prepared. Prices are subject to change without prior notification due to circumstances beyond our control, namely fuel surcharges, supplier increases, government taxes, exchange rate fluctuations, gorilla permits and park / conservation fees, The full booking value will be subject to rate of exchange fluctuations until full payment has been made. We will endeavor to provide as much notice as possible and assure you that we will do all we can to prevent or limit any increases
- Trip price is based on Wild Rainbow African Safaris costs, fees, and supplier prices in effect at the time of booking. Wild Rainbow African Safaris reserves the right to alter a trip price and require additional payment in case of any rate increases. Modifications to the itinerary may result in a change in price. If, for any reason, a client alters a trip in progress then any additional expenses due to the alteration are the responsibility of the client (including, but not limited to, changes in accommodation, meals, flights, activities, or services) and payable to Wild Rainbow African Safaris.
- This quote is valid for the dates of travel specified. Prices are subject to change and lodge availability is not guaranteed until a signed application and deposit are received, at which time accommodations are booked and a final itinerary prepared. Modifications to the itinerary may result in a change in price.
- Review the location and amenities of the suggested accommodations and ensure you are comfortable.
- All costs are valid for the itinerary travel dates. Costs may vary with date changes.
- Should any details change, we reserve the right to recalculate the tour price accordingly
- Passports MUST be valid for at least six months from your return home date. We recommend a validity of nine months to prevent any problems in this regard. There must be at least FOUR blank VISA pages in the passport (not endorsement pages).
- Please see the Wild Rainbow Application form for payment schedule and our Terms & Conditions for cancellation policy.
- Trip Cancellation and Travel Insurance should be purchased within 14 days of making your deposit.
- WRAS is happy to help with intra-Africa flights to ensure the best arrival/departure times. There is a USD 35.00 service fee per flight booked by WRAS.
Wild Rainbow Africa Safaris endeavors to make the itinerary as accurate as possible, it should be considered as an approximate agenda of activities rather than a rigid schedule. Trip itineraries are subject to last-minute, and on-the-ground revision due to weather, trail conditions, government and local restrictions, animal movement and other reasons beyond our control. In addition, frequent reconnaissance of routes sometimes determines a better routing. We do our best to ascertain the most scenic and convenient route possible throughout our guest’s safari with us. We reserve the right to amend the stated itinerary in response to unexpected changes in local conditions.
If you would like to climb, we will require a completed and signed Trip Application for each traveler, a 30% deposit on the full trip amount. 50% of this deposit amount is non-refundable. We strongly recommend purchasing Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance immediately after your deposit is made. Insurance protects you and your investment should there be a reason at any point in the planning process that you would need to cancel your trip. Final payment will be due 120 days before travel.
Please contact Jody at email@example.com or call 415-407-3691 to secure your safari.
“We liked everything about our trip. We really enjoyed being with Jody. Her warm personality and organizational skills were apparent.”
“Jody’s unparalleled knowledge of wildlife was extraordinary and I learned so much from her.”
“It was another wonderful trip by Wild Rainbow Safaris.”