One Trip. Two Natural Wonders.
Feel the splash of the Okavango Delta from a dugout “Mokoro” and the midst of the majestic Victoria Falls.
Itinerary Zimbabwe and Botswana June 3- 11, 2019
Days 1-2: June 3 & 4, 2019
Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe
We all meet in Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe by 1:00pm on Monday, June 3, 2019. You will be picked up and driven to Victoria Falls Safaris Lodge. We will spend the next two nights here. The lodge is built on a plateau overlooking the Zambezi National Park. It is just 2.5 miles from the majestic Victoria Falls and offers a unique wildlife experience.
Once we get settled into the hotel you will have the afternoon to spend how you please. You may choose to go bungee jumping, walk around town, do some game viewing from your room or the common veranda at the lodge. We have arranged for a sunset cruise on the Zambezi River. Sit back, relax and soak up the last rays of the African sun as you gently drift along the Zambezi River above the Falls. From the deck you may see elephant, hippo, crocodile, magnificent birds and other wildlife. The finale of the cruise is the unforgettable sight of the sun setting over the Zambezi River, turning the sky into a myriad of reds, oranges and pinks and casting shadows and silhouettes all around. Drinks and light snacks are provided. Back to the hotel for our Welcome Dinner!
On the morning of Tuesday, June 4, it is an early morning in order to be at the World Heritage site, Victoria Falls (one of the 8 natural wonders of the world) when it opens at 6:30am. We will have a guided tour of these famous falls. After our tour of the Falls, we have arranged for a very special visit to the Elephant Sanctuary and Orphanage. This has been a safe-haven to a myriad of orphaned and injured elephants since its conception in 1992. We will learn about the elephant’s history and how they came to be in their care as well as the threats facing elephant populations today. We’ll venture out into the bush to spend time with the elephants. You will have the opportunity to take photographs with the elephants. Marvel at their size and watch them behaving normally; browsing and interacting with one another.
Back to the lodge in time for a rest and to get cleaned up for dinner. Tonight, we have arranged for a special dinner: The Boma – Dinner & Drum Show is a four-course meal featuring local dishes, non-stop entertainment including dancers, singers, face painters and an interactive drumming show.
Meals:Bed and Breakfast basis at VF Safari Lodge. Lunches on June 3 & 4 and Dinner on June 3 are on your own account either at the lodge or in town.
Days 3, 4 & 5: June 5, 6 & 7, 2019
Moremi Game Reserve, Camp Xakanaxa
2019 After breakfast at the lodge, we will be driven about 2 hours to Botswana. After we go through immigration at the Botswana border we will continue on to the Kasane Airport. Here we will catch our first charter flight to Camp Xakanaxa. The prime location of Camp Xakanaxa (pronounced Ka-ka-na-ka) on the banks of the Khwai River on the Xakanaxa Lagoon, in the heart of the Moremi Game Reserve, makes it one of the very few safari camps that offers guests an authentic, year-round Okavango Delta land and water safari experience. We will spend 3 days and nights exploring the Okavango Delta in 4×4 safari vehicles and by boat. The typical safari schedule is up with the sun, out on game drive by sunrise, to catch those amazing African sunrises or maybe a lazy nocturnal animal. Breakfast at 9:30 or 10. The afternoons are siesta time. Afternoon tea is at 3:00PM then off on another game drive or other activity until sunset. Dinner is usually at 8pm.
The camp offers spacious all-canvas, classic Meru-style luxury safari tents, with en suite showers, hand basins and toilet facilities. Situated around the fringe of the lagoon, every tent has a private viewing deck with comfortable loungers. Camp Xakanaxa is one of the few camps in Botswana which still offers the essence of a classic tented camp.
The stylish main buildings extend over the Khwai River and are set on raised platforms to maximize the views over the surrounding lagoons and islands. The elegant lounge and dining rooms, built of local timber, reed and thatch, feature a small library, expansive sundeck, plunge pool. The fire-deck extends over the Khwai River and creates an enchanting environment in which to relax after dinner. There is also a larger pool with elevated sun deck in the expansive grounds.
The ancient riverine forests, open savannah, serpentine channels and seasonal floodplains that surround the camp make for a varied habitat of exceptional fauna and flora. The camp offers land and water game-viewing experience, in open 4×4 safari vehicles or powerboats. The diverse habitat offers sightings of Elephant, Buffalo, Hyena, Giraffe, Hippo, Wildebeest, Kudu, Lechwe, Lion and Leopard, among many others.
Meals: Full Board
Days 6, 7 & 8, 2019: June 8, 9 & 10, 2019
Okavango Delta, Xugana Island Lodge
This morning we catch another charter flight to Xugana Island Lodge. We will arrive in time for lunch then a rest before taking off into the bush again. Located on the Okavango River in the heart of the Okavango Delta, Xugana Island Lodge is in a private concession offering a range of activities giving you the chance to experience a true Okavango Delta safari. We’ll explore the crystal-clear waterways by mokoro (traditional dugout canoe) or motorboat and enjoy the magnificent variety of bird, plant and reptile species found in the area. Guided nature walks on surrounding islands give us the chance to experience nature up close and personal. Day and night game drives are also available for a chance to search for the prolific wildlife found in the area. Catch and release fishing for bream and tiger fish is also offered.
An expansive deck and al fresco dining area overlooks the vast, pristine body of water that makes up the permanent Okavango Delta. The lounge, bar and dining areas are set back under the Ebony and African Mangosteen tree canopy in open-sided thatched structures, and the swimming pool, located within the mature gardens in the center of the island, is a perfect place to relax.
The lodge accommodates only sixteen guests in large, raised, reed and thatch lagoon-facing chalets, with en-suite facilities and private viewing decks optimally placed on the shaded fringe of the island.
Meals: Full Board
Day 9: June 11, 2019
After a final morning activity or game drive, we will take our final charter flight to Maun, Botswana. This is where our safari ends. From here you will need to fly back to Johannesburg.
Zimbabwe and Botswana: $7,250.00 per person
Single Supplement: $1,650.00 per person
*Price is based on a minimum of 6 guests
- Specialist guide Jody Cole throughout
- Services of a local professional English-speaking guide
- All guide fees
- Park fees except Victoria Falls National Park
- Charter Flights from Kasane to Botswana Camps and Maun
- All activities, meals, and accommodations as indicated in the itinerary plus a couple of surprises
- Laundry at Botswana Camps
- Transport from Victoria Falls to Kasane Airport in Botswana
- Bottled drinking water in vehicles
- All internal transfers included, unless specifically mentioned in itinerary
DOES NOT INCLUDE
- International Airfares
- Intra-Africa Airfares except charter flights in Botswana
- Johannesburg to Victoria Falls Zimbabwe on June 3, 2019 Approx. $200.00
- Maun, Botswana to Johannesburg on June 11, 2019 Approx. $225.00
- Visas: Zimbabwe $30.00 per person
- Victoria Falls National Park Entrance Fee $30.00 per person
- Hotels needed before or after the dates stated on itinerary. In Johannesburg Approx. $100.00pp
- Bar Bills
- Meals excluded or not mentioned in the itinerary
- Gratuities to trip leader, guides, drivers, crew, or other staff. Budget $500-$1000.
- Additional accommodations made necessary by airline schedule changes or other factors
- Pre-trip expenses such as immunizations, travel insurance, passports, etc.
- Any expenses of a personal nature, such as souvenirs and laundry.
- This safari starts in Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe and ends in Maun, Botswana
- Please note that this quote is valid for the dates of travel specified
- Prices are subject to change without prior notification due to circumstances beyond our control, namely fuel surcharges, supplier increases, government taxes, exchange rate fluctuations, etc. The full booking value will be subject to rate of exchange fluctuations until full payment has been made.
- All costs are valid for the itinerary travel dates. Costs may vary with date changes.
- Should any details change, we reserve the right to recalculate the tour price accordingly.
- Passports MUST be valid for at least six months from your return home date. We recommend a validity of nine months to prevent any problems in this regard. There must be at least FOUR blank VISA pages in the passport (not endorsement pages).
- WRAS is happy to help with Intra Africa flights to ensure the best arrival/departure times. There is a $35.00 service fee per flight booked by WRAS.
- There are weight restrictions on luggage. It is all about what the plane can carry NOT about paying extra for more luggage or weight. The flight simply will not take off if a guest is overweight with luggage. Charter airlines request that we pack in a soft-sided duffel bag, no hard suitcases or wheeled bags with rigid structure/retractable handles. Most charter flights have a weight limit of 25lbs/11kgs. You may also take one carry-on (camera bag, day-pack) on the plane with you that does not exceed 15lbs/6.8kgs. The plane is a 9-14-seater plane. Many camps have laundry, so things can get washed.
Visa needed to enter Zimbabwe. Available at port of entry.
No Visa needed to enter Botswana
“Jody Cole and Wild Rainbow African Safaris is the only way to go to Africa.”
“Fantastic life altering trip!! Jody and her team were the bomb. They were extremely knowledgable, caring, experts and fabulous hosts in an exotic land. I will never forget this experience and have many fond memories to last me forever.